What's in the Belly of the Board?

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Maeve

Re: What's in the Belly of the Board?

Post by Maeve »

I miss movie theatres.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

We went nontraditional for Thanksgiving this year. The soup dumplings were ugly, but delicious, and I just finished the last of the baked char siu buns for lunch today. Now I've got two pounds of pig skin in the freezer if anyone has any ideas on what to do with it.
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Crow Girl

Post by Crow Girl »

smalltown wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:47 am >snip< Now I've got two pounds of pig skin in the freezer if anyone has any ideas on what to do with it.
There’s always pork skin cracklings?

Otherwise, my general default for when I don’t know what to do with something is to throw it in with the next stock I make for added flavour. Texture etc are unimportant since the solids get taken out at the end.
- Lisa / CrowGirl
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

Crow Girl wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:09 am
smalltown wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:47 am >snip< Now I've got two pounds of pig skin in the freezer if anyone has any ideas on what to do with it.
There’s always pork skin cracklings?

Otherwise, my general default for when I don’t know what to do with something is to throw it in with the next stock I make for added flavour. Texture etc are unimportant since the solids get taken out at the end.
That's what it was originally used for! I made a stock with the skin, pork bones and an entire pig's foot and then let it gelatinize (and boy did it) and cubed it up for the soup dumplings. I just had to buy four times as much as the recipe needed.
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I found a company that makes vegan nacho cheese dip, perfect for my lactose intolerant self, though my stomach remains on the fence about this life choice. So delicious, so cheesy, so gooey.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:00 pm I found a company that makes vegan nacho cheese dip, perfect for my lactose intolerant self, though my stomach remains on the fence about this life choice. So delicious, so cheesy, so gooey.
Plz to tell me what brand this is? Dev’s gf is lactose intolerant. She does ok with taking a lactaid before eating cheese/dairy, but any little change helps. And she likes cheesy sauce with hot pretzels. And I would like an excuse to make hot pretzels. :)
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

Yes, please do tell. There was a local company called punk rawk vegan cheese that we do not see any longer in the stores that made a nacho cheese variant (cashew base), but it didn't melt well.

For a very good cream cheese substitute, check out Kite Hill. Amazing stuff. I still eat animal milk based things, and if presented blind, i would not be able to tell the difference. And it is almond milk based (I am allergic to cashews, so not a potential death cheese [added bonus].)
-I.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

How to *not* make egg fried rice:

https://youtu.be/4qDyv-urblY
Ophelia's Vengeance

Maeve wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:51 pm
Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:00 pm I found a company that makes vegan nacho cheese dip, perfect for my lactose intolerant self, though my stomach remains on the fence about this life choice. So delicious, so cheesy, so gooey.
Plz to tell me what brand this is? Dev’s gf is lactose intolerant. She does ok with taking a lactaid before eating cheese/dairy, but any little change helps. And she likes cheesy sauce with hot pretzels. And I would like an excuse to make hot pretzels. :)
The brand is Daiya's. If she is also craving some mac & cheese, I'd recommend Amy's vegan/rice mac & cheese.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Maeve, she may also be ok with non-US goat cheeses. Goat dairy has less lactose than cow dairy. I'm ok with goat cheese if it's consumed once a week, and especially if it comes from Europe. Surprisingly, I was even ok sometimes with cow cheese when in France.