What are you drinking? (and why?)

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
Furious

Re: What are you drinking? (and why?)

Post by Furious »

I have the hankering for some mint tea. Not even iced tea :shock:

No idea where that's coming from.
y u poek bear?
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

There's a French bistro within driving distance that has cider from Normandy. Plan to pick some up this week or next as a nice treat.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Jeepz

Post by Jeepz »

I've been enjoying (and just finished) El Dorado 8 rum. Last night, for book club, I poured myself a Maker's for the first time in a couple months, and it was soooo good.

Right now I'm finishing my plant-based protein shake for breakfast.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

Cider from Normandy: acquired. Will partake later this evening.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Giabow

Post by Giabow »

A drink my friends came up with called "Bad Parents." It's cream soda with maple bourbon and a cherry garnish.

(Called Bad Parents because we drink it poolside while the kids are inside watching TV or doing whatever else teenagers do while they're unsupervised.)
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

St.CountZero wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:58 pm
wanderinginmn wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:58 am So do you know about Crianza vs Reserva vs Gran Reserva? (actual legal terms that help define what is in the bottle)

Or would you like to (I am itching to do an infodump)?

They differ a bit by region, like the name for Tempranillo (Tinta de Toro, Tinta del Pais, etc), but do help when buying some wine from those region
again late response, but yes, please go ahead. The more information the better, I just have never bothered to go look for it myself.
So very late reply, realized I was being an ass, took a very long pause to figure some shit out.

Spanish Wine Aging Labels (there are others concerning DO, VC, VP and VDiT/IGP):

In general:

Joven (sin Crianza): released the year after harvest, intended to drink young
Crianza: red- 6 months barrel, 24 months before release. White- 6 months barrel, 12 months before release
Reserva: red- 12 months barrel, 36 months before release. White- 6 months barrel, 24 moths before release
Gran Reserva: red- 18 months barrel, 60 months before release. White 6 months barrel, 48 months before release.

White wines of this type are a dying breed, oxidative white wine is not really in vogue.

Rioja and Ribera del Duero have longer requirements with the notation of barrel/bottle/release in months (with Rioja technically not being 24 months, but the second October after harvest, by DO regulation):

• Ribera del Duero
○ Red
§ Crianza- 12/0/24
§ Reserva- 12/0/36
§ Gran Reserva- 24/0/60
○ White
§ Not allowed
• Rioja
○ Red
§ Crianza- 12/0/24 (October)
§ Reserva- 12/6/36
§ Gran Reserva- 24/24/60
○ White/Rosado
§ Crianza- 6/0/24 (October)
§ Reserva- 6/0/24
§ Gran Reserva- 6/0/48
-I.
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

I brew beer from all grain. For most of the pandemic, at my home brew store, I was not allowed access to the grain room. I had to make a list of the various grains that go into a recipe and hope they picked and milled the correct items. With that I brewed my Belgium Tripel, or what I thought was my Tripel recipie. There was a caramel malt that apparently got lost in translation or was just a mis-pick.

The result-- is damned awesome, and I will never be able to duplicate it. I get almost Trappist Rochefort 8 vibes, but with the crispness of triple rather than a quad. It is wacky amazing.

I have a feeling I will be trying to figure out what that guy gave me for the grain bill for years.

So yeah.
-I.
Llama's BIG BROTHER

Post by Llama's BIG BROTHER »

A month ago or so I picked up a bottle of "Dessa's Time & Distance Organic Bourbon Whiskey" from Rockfilter Distillery near Spring Grove, MN. They use some sort of homegrown heirloom corn which gives it a whole bunch of interesting flavor notes that I have not the vocabulary to describe.
Kagan's Rule of First Contact: You will surprise you more than they will.