What are you drinking? (and why?)

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
wanderinginmn

Re: What are you drinking? (and why?)

Post by wanderinginmn »

Maeve wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:28 pm Ivan, I don’t like gin, but that gin sounds delicious!
The main issue with most folk that state they do not like Gin is juniper. Everyone say thank you to Britain for that (not sure which bit, but it started there.) :)

Gin is defined as a spirit with botanicals-- It does not have to be juniper based.

Spain tends to go more herby, especially Barcelona. Amsterdam is a mixed bag, but I tasted one yesterday that a vendor brought in that was bright orange with cardamon and a slight anise bit to it.

Gin has more iterations than juniper.

Take another look, and if you do not like juniper, avoid anything that says London. :)
-I.
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

LanMartak wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:30 pm I get up at 4:30 a.m. so my rationale is happy hour starts at 4:00 p.m. so I am having a winter warmer from a brewery that is literally a quarter of a mile down the street from me. Not too bad
What brewery? (if you do not want to say for privacy reasons, i get it, just always curious about brew.)
-I.
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

Crow Girl wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 pm Tonight I’m drinking a white wine. If you like your Riesling on the drier side like I do, you can’t go wrong with the Kung Fu Girl from Charles Smith. It’s a great grocery-store (and Target) accessible bottle, and has been a reliable staple for me since moving back to the states.
Kung Fu Girl is super available and popular, and is a solid Reisling from Washington by Charles Smith. It is semi-sweet though. It is what I would expect from a spatlese or drier side auslese from Mosel or Rheigau at alcohol around 10%. Though expectation of alcohol and sweetness is always a gamble with German Rieslings. IIRC, KFG might be slightly higher in ABV.

I sell a ton of KFG, and it is a solid choice, it is not dry though.

Riesling is a very complicated grape as far as sweetness. German regulations designate the sugar in the grape at harvest, not in the wine. I do not have that essay in me tonight to go deep into that.

There are some amazing Dry to Off-dry (feinherb [not a regulated term]) Rieslings from Germany (Barrel X, 1000L, etc.) Also see Alsace from France (almost always dry, especially Gran Cru.) Australia (Clare and Eden Valley) with wonderful citrus, sometimes lime bomb noses (seriously some of these are the IPA of wine.) And even from Niagara in Canada.
-I.
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

Crow Girl wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:44 pm As for the why... *vaguely gestures at everything*
Amen. Did you ever pay that speeding ticket?
-I.
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

smalltown wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:49 am Time for whiskey and ginger ale!
What type/brand of whiskey?
-I.
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

Cavenagh wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:39 pm
GInger Beer...

is better.

In my estimation that is. Ginger Ale is just too sweet for me.
Ginger ale is an awful sugar soda bomb. Sadly most things here (US, MN) that are labeled ginger beer are pretty much ginger ale these days.

It must have been a decade ago when Midtown global market (transformed old Sears warehouse into many shops and condos) opened, there was a Caribbean food stand that had a truly homemade ginger beer that tore my mouth and nose apart, and it was amazing. That was Ginger beer.... I miss it.
-I.
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

wanderinginmn wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:45 am
And, yeah,. just wrote about ginger ale... but what whiskey are you drinking to condemn it to mix with ginger ale?
-I.
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

wanderinginmn wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:53 am
wanderinginmn wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:45 am
And, yeah,. just wrote about ginger ale... but what whiskey are you drinking to condemn it to mix with ginger ale?
The shade being thrown!

It’s Bulleit (because I didn’t realize the owners were terrible people before I bought it) and Canada Dry. I like a little bit of ginger but not an overwhelming amount, so I stick with a couple ounces of soda instead of beer.
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Jeepz

Post by Jeepz »

This is great. I've always said I'm not a gin fan, and this is probably why. I mean, I've never tasted anything like orange, cardamon and anise-all things i love- in gin. If I could find that, I might change my opinion on gin.
wanderinginmn wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:24 am
The main issue with most folk that state they do not like Gin is juniper. Everyone say thank you to Britain for that (not sure which bit, but it started there.) :)

Gin is defined as a spirit with botanicals-- It does not have to be juniper based.

Spain tends to go more herby, especially Barcelona. Amsterdam is a mixed bag, but I tasted one yesterday that a vendor brought in that was bright orange with cardamon and a slight anise bit to it.

Gin has more iterations than juniper.

Take another look, and if you do not like juniper, avoid anything that says London. :)
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Is juniper what makes it taste like what I imagine licking a pine tree must taste like? That’s the part I didn’t like. When I had gin, like... 30ish years ago? I did like the several hour long buzz though.
Weirdy American Tart Thing