What are you drinking? (and why?)

Talk, mix, mingle, have a good time. Just ... be kind.
BeeZee

Re: What are you drinking? (and why?)

Post by BeeZee »

Mocha

Because I need the caffeine and I deserve the chocolate.
I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky's the limit!
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

St.CountZero wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:42 am I don't typically go for champagne/prosecco/etc. If I drink wine it's typically tempranilla, garnacha, or something along those lines.
Domaine de Canton though, I'm a big fan of. It works well in mixed drinks.
Tempranillo and Granacha from where in Spain? Rioja or Ribera del Duero or going Volver in La Mancha or the like, or just going for a label that strikes the fancy or?

And I realize I sound like an ass in text when I ask questions like that. It is an honest question. I strive to be able to help others find a wine that fits. And, yeah, educate and try not to make eyes glass over when i go on about soil and vine training methods.

So I see, "I drank a Tempranillo and liked it." and wonder from what DOC(a/Q) and Crianza, Reserva or Gran Reserva, what winery, and what did you like about it?

Even if it is, "I do not know, I threw the box out but it was X brand on the box" it is super helpful to know those kind of things to me. And, yes, there are actually some quality wines out of a box from Spain these days.
-I.
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

Caspian wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:08 am Martini, because it's Friday and life stinks but gin is yummy.
Details people, I need details.
-I.
Royko

Post by Royko »

There may be a little Journeyman whiskey in my Coke Zero. I don't know which one because I'm not fancy, but it was a clear whiskey. About this much.
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

This Journeyman? https://www.journeymandistillery.com/journey

If so, the Corsets, Whips and Whiskey taglines are ... on the nose?
-I.
Royko

Post by Royko »

wanderinginmn wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:38 am This Journeyman? https://www.journeymandistillery.com/journey

If so, the Corsets, Whips and Whiskey taglines are ... on the nose?
That very one! They're just a bit down the road, though I've never actually been there. Good stuff.

As for the whips and corsets, how do *you* drink your whiskey?
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
fduncan

Post by fduncan »

Nothing yet; been up since 4:10 or so, and there’s much rattling around required to make coffee.

Why, you ask? ( don’t even try to deny it. )
  • the pot is almost never cleaned the day/night before, unless during the previous go-round we think that I or the missus will want to make another later. Coffee ritual almost always requires cleaning the pot
  • Water must be heated. Electric kettle was relatively quiet, but we’ve gone through two and they take up counter space, so it’s a stove pot thing. And induction makes weird singing noises, combined with the ring of the lid against the pot, what with not having the manual dexterity processes spun up properly yet, due to, of course, the lack of coffee.
  • The coffee must be ground. Rarely has the last person ground enough for two or more pots, despite the relatively airtight container. So the grinder must do it’s thing.
  • google. Google Home is our go-to kitchen timer, and the volume can be a bit loud if the last use involved dancing.
That said, so to speak, all this finger pecking is making me peckish, or at least more interested in a beverage than considerate of house members, so I may just give it a go.

And then there’s breakfast.. so much rattling ..
Yep. *that* fduncan. Board-crasher, right-coaster, fat-thumbed grammar nebish
[he/him/boomer]
fduncan

Post by fduncan »

What?!? The coffee pot was cleaned! The coffee was ground! At least, a sufficient quantity for 4/5 of a pot of .. pretty okay French press dark roast.

(I guessed at the water level required for the reduced grind mass).

Sink’s full, alas - our mode these days is often cocktails, chips/crackers & toppings, followed by dinner prep and eating by the telly, what with their only being two indoor spaces for seated dining, and if it can be fit into bowl (and pasta (drills) with 🥓 , onions & 🥦 with sauce can & was), the cleanup can be — well, possibly a morning thing. It’s not great, admittedly ...

But yeah, coffee, neat ...
Yep. *that* fduncan. Board-crasher, right-coaster, fat-thumbed grammar nebish
[he/him/boomer]
St.CountZero

Post by St.CountZero »

wanderinginmn wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:12 am
St.CountZero wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:42 am I don't typically go for champagne/prosecco/etc. If I drink wine it's typically tempranilla, garnacha, or something along those lines.
Domaine de Canton though, I'm a big fan of. It works well in mixed drinks.
Tempranillo and Granacha from where in Spain? Rioja or Ribera del Duero or going Volver in La Mancha or the like, or just going for a label that strikes the fancy or?

And I realize I sound like an ass in text when I ask questions like that. It is an honest question. I strive to be able to help others find a wine that fits. And, yeah, educate and try not to make eyes glass over when i go on about soil and vine training methods.

So I see, "I drank a Tempranillo and liked it." and wonder from what DOC(a/Q) and Crianza, Reserva or Gran Reserva, what winery, and what did you like about it?

Even if it is, "I do not know, I threw the box out but it was X brand on the box" it is super helpful to know those kind of things to me. And, yes, there are actually some quality wines out of a box from Spain these days.
Late response, but typically Roja, although I have been known to grab a bottle just because it looked cool.
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

So do you know about Crianza vs Reserva vs Gran Reserva? (actual legal terms that help define what is in the bottle)

Or would you like to (I am itching to do an infodump)?

They differ a bit by region, like the name for Tempranillo (Tinta de Toro, Tinta del Pais, etc), but do help when buying some wine from those region
-I.