What are we watching?

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
Maeve

Re: What are we watching?

Post by Maeve »

Furious wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:42 pm Furi is busy trying to lace his sneakers 'the right way' so his imaginary precocious son Scoot will be doing today's review. In fact he will be reviewing two films at the same time.

Movies: Black Widow, The Suicide Squad
Rating of Scoot: POOP

It was another sequel to the capesh-, uh superhuman movie franchise that maybe kinda sorta added to the big hoobeldygoo but on it's own was POOP. Antihero white girl that's cuckoo for cocoa puffs and has no real superpowers gets a dysfunctional family. Macho male figures are portrayed as dum-dums. Antihero white girl gets punched in the face yet keeps her perfect nose. Movie touches on the victimization of normies in the real world but blames it on a big bad instead of gubberments. Stuff blows up and lots of people die but that's okay since its in a third world country and is le edgelord funny. Not enough boobies. NOT. ENOUGH. BOOBIES!

Movie's kinda watchable in parts but heckin' DRAGS when there's no character banter going on. If you can watch this POOP for free go do it but if youre cheap like my daddy dont go paying for it. :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D

EDIT: This post has been up for three days and no one has corrected me that I misspelled Black Widow as Black Window. My phoneposting stinks but you guys are slipping. 😜

I liked both movies just fine! Sure, Black Widow was filler, but it was a nice distraction from all of the everything and ut was weird being back in a theatre.

The Suicide Squad was much better than the last version, it was properly bonkers, and it was just fine. Also seen at the theatre, and we were the only ones there.

Have not yet gone to see Free Guy, which looks silly and entertaining, was gonna go today, but I’m ill. Looking forward to Shang-Chi.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Furious

Post by Furious »

Maeve wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:09 pm

I liked both movies just fine! Sure, Black Widow was filler, but it was a nice distraction from all of the everything and ut was weird being back in a theatre.

The Suicide Squad was much better than the last version, it was properly bonkers, and it was just fine. Also seen at the theatre, and we were the only ones there.

Have not yet gone to see Free Guy, which looks silly and entertaining, was gonna go today, but I’m ill. Looking forward to Shang-Chi.
The Suicide Squad was definitely the best Harley Quinn movie, but I saw it within the same week I saw Black Widow and noticed a lot of similaries, despite the differences in tone.

Watched The Night House yesterday and it was good to see a horror movie that gave me the creeps! Still trying to figure out how to explain it without spoiling it.

Also, HOW DID I EVER MISS THIS GEM?
https://youtu.be/q64pblibp3o
y u poek bear?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Cruella is now on regular Disney+, so I downloaded it night before last and it too me a few hours to do that, so I watched it last night. It was not the story I was expecting and it was much better than I expected.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I've really been enjoying Ragnarok. Tried an ep of Katla and eh, probably not for me.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Furious

Post by Furious »

im about to watch Death Rider and the House of Vampires... this could be the worst movie ever... 😜
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

The Night House
Rating of Fury: B+

Spoopy thriller with an unsatisfying ending

In an era of super-slow-boil-with-no-payoff horror films, it feels good to get creeped out and jump during a horror flick. The Night House provides the necessary Scooby-Doo mystery + pacing + ambience to deliver all the way up to the end, which won’t be spoiled here, but will make you wonder why the hell the dimwit stayed clueless for so long in her situation.

The movie starts off with us watching the protagonist trying to keep her life together a week after her husband’s suicide. The heroine (whos turning into an alcoholic, glug glug) starts hearing and seeing poltergeist-like happenings in her home. She also finds possible evidence that her dead husband was having an affair and may have been involved in structurimancy, using architecture to cast spells (think 13 Ghosts). Was the hubby a warlock? Was he a bastard? Is the protagonist going crazy?

All gets answered, but you won’t like the resolution. I didn’t, hence the B+. The Night House is like going on a crazy roller coaster ride only to be stuck on the damn thing at the station afterwards for 30 minutes, souring the experience. Movie’s worth a watch though.

And now, because you demanded more of him (and by you I mean me), our favorite spoiled brat Scoot will attempt to review the next film...

Death Rider and the House of Vampires
Rating of Scoot: POOP
Wincingly bad, and not in a fun way

My daddy watches so many movies inna theater he gets free passes and I still think he paid too much for this. Death Rider at its best is a Dollar Store From Dusk Til Dawn but it rarely ever gets that good. This is the kinda film that needs the MST3K/RiffTrax treatment to become watchable because by itself it STINKS! I did like the main vampire’s John Travolta wig. He was rockin' it.

But the movie was 100% POOP. Don’t believe me? I DARE you to watch it when it goes to streaming. Don’t blame me when your eyes and ears start hurting (not kidding about the ears, some of those screams - yikes!).

There was some boobies, so there’s that. *shrugs*
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Rating of Fury: B

Solid addition to the MCU; too bad Disney can't get out of it's own way

I'm feeling persnickety tonight, so let me assure you that I LIKED Shang-Chi. The film has some decent non-CGI martial arts, good comedy, and a father/son dynamic that will remind you of another Disney franchise (think assisted breathing and pew-pew lasers). The Ten Rings themselves, the weapon not the gang in the movie, are actually badass when they're not doing magic floaty sh*t with them. The movie also proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dweller in Darkness is the ultimate evil on Earth. And all along Boardies thought DiD was some nice Canadian guy with a cool username… WRONG! You're being moderated by Suffering Incarnate. Deal with it.

Shang-Chi falls into capesh*t and martial arts schlock (seriously, watching Kung Pow! Enter the Fist will ruin every kung-fu movie for you) about halfway through and that's a shame. The funny sidekick is replaced by a very unfunny sidekick as we get transported to a mystical land which is built on ideas stolen from Pokemon and Dragonball Z. Next the CGI action flies into an unwanted messy overdrive. Unwanted, because the movie is at least 2 hours and 20 minutes long, and when you add 20 minutes of trailers, you'll be suffering from NBS (Numb Butt Syndrome) by the time the Little Bad tries to release the Big Bad. And then that similar father/son dynamic kicks in HARD.

There's a couple of MCU cameos (unfortunately two of them are Captain MarySue and The Incredible Debuff) and the violence is family-friendly, despite some deaths. Because of the length, I recommend watching Shang-Chi at home unless you enjoy dancing the Movie Bathroom Shuffle.
y u poek bear?
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

The new season of What We do in the Shadows has dropped. Finally!!
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I loved Shang-Chi! It felt a lot like when Iron Man first came out, that building a backstory kind of thing. The choreography for the fight scenes was amazing and intense. Did not care for the whole, “I know you’re an asshole, but I think I can fight/train it out of you” mom part of the story, but, whatevs. I adored Hidden Pokemon Village, and the surprise guest made me laugh so much because it was just so absurd to see that person there, at that time. I loved that the Big Bad is just Monster of the Week and I love the ten rings. It harkened back to Guardians, the mix between fighfightfight/backstory/silly/gorgeous colours.

I love that they didn’t cram in any romantic storylines and while the end credit scenes seemed crammed in, it piqued my interest for upcoming films and also made me want to re-watch all the old ones. I enjoyed myself immensely and would happily go see it again, even in the theatre.
weeble

Post by weeble »

Reservation Dogs. I got Hulu to watch it. The episodes feel super short, I'm jonesing for more!