What are we watching?

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Re: What are we watching?

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

Apathy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:39 am Tonight is Practical Magic with Roomie and Furball because we love the cheesy 90s goodness (not Furball, she just likes to see how long she can guilt me into being her personal heating pad) ✨❤️✨
I need to rewatch this. October has been consumed with work things, but dammit, November will be my proper October!
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Apathy

Post by Apathy »

Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:09 pm
Apathy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:39 am Tonight is Practical Magic with Roomie and Furball because we love the cheesy 90s goodness (not Furball, she just likes to see how long she can guilt me into being her personal heating pad) ✨❤️✨
I need to rewatch this. October has been consumed with work things, but dammit, November will be my proper October!
Mine is definitely gonna be extended into November, you're not alone!
after all, we only get the one life to defile
Cavenagh

Post by Cavenagh »

Octonauts.

Yay. The penguins are safe.
tree bad fire pretty
Royko

Post by Royko »

This is Us and The Good Doctor are back with pandemic-themed episodes, and I'm kind of bummed to see it creep into my fiction, even if it would be weird not to.

We've been watching lighter entertainment because 2020 -- we watched Schitt's Creek TWICE this year, it may be the only thing keeping me sane -- but we did break down and watch The Haunting of Bly to do something kind of Halloween-y. The show has an interesting trajectory. It didn't end how I expected. Overall, I recommend it.
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

We are finally watching Schitt's Creek. Much better than I expected. Very much needed a good oddball funny show this week.
-I.
Royko

Post by Royko »

wanderinginmn wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:19 am We are finally watching Schitt's Creek. Much better than I expected. Very much needed a good oddball funny show this week.
We watched it this spring, then just rewatched it in October, because why not. On the first viewing, I had the same initial reaction. It seemed like a silly show, kind of a (gag) Two Broke Girls idea, and that's fine but not the kind of show I would love. But it was really funny, and that kept me into it. And slowly over time, it deviated more from what I thought I'd be getting and became this whole different show that was wonderful.

So rewatching it the second time was interesting, because I could look at the places where it started to veer off from my expectations. On the rewatch, Season 2, Ep 4 had the first moment that I said "yup, that's the show in a nutshell", and those moments continued through season 2 until the finale, which was firmly planted on the new path.

It's a bit like the American Office, which was another show that started one way, but changed to a very different tone. But where I think The Office did it because Steve Carrell doesn't work as unlikeable in the way that Ricky Gervais does, I think the Levys knew where they wanted to go from the beginning. It just took a season for me to catch up.
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

Exactly. Character growth and embrace of the characters by the actors has been amazing. Fantastic writing and acting, loving the show, brilliant. Up to season 5 now.

I am not sure what else the actress playing Alexis has done, but holy crap she is amazing.

It did take me a few episodes of season one to realize that Mutt was Doc Holiday from Wynonna though. That was a bit disturbing, in a kindof wait, what, impressed by the actor sort of way.

heh.
-I.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Season 3 of Killing Eve is up on hulu, so that should keep me entertained for a while.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Apathy

Post by Apathy »

The Avengers. Felt like celebrating
after all, we only get the one life to defile
St.CountZero

Post by St.CountZero »

Cavenagh wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:31 pm Octonauts.

Yay. The penguins are safe.
As far as "kids shows found on Netflix", it could be much worse than Octonauts. There's some ugly-ass cartoons out there.

Over here though, we finished The Deep - pretty good story, and good representation efforts (the main hero family is mixed-race Black and Asian). Last night we tried The Dragon Prince, but the kid didn't want to continue after the first episode. That might be one that we watch after she goes to bed, like the new She-Ra.

So what does she insist we watch as a family? Either cooking competition shows (Sugar Rush, Final Table), or architecture/design shows (The World's Most Extraordinary Homes, Dream Home Makeover, Project Restoration). If we let her watch some YouTube Kids, it's videos on cute animals, science, or woodworking (the Pask Makes channel has a Scrapwood Challenge series that is really good).