What are we watching?

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
wanderinginmn

Re: What are we watching?

Post by wanderinginmn »

Maeve wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:03 pm Season 3 of Killing Eve is up on hulu, so that should keep me entertained for a while.
That one was quite fun.
-I.
smalltown

Post by smalltown »

St.CountZero wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:48 pm
Cavenagh wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:31 pm Octonauts.

Yay. The penguins are safe.
As far as "kids shows found on Netflix", it could be much worse than Octonauts. There's some ugly-ass cartoons out there.
I would highly recommend the Pete the Cat cartoons on Prime. I generally dislike reading the books, but the cartoon is really cute and has catchy songs.
duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS
Royko

Post by Royko »

I enjoy Christmas movies/shows, even when they're bad because they're comfortable and fun to mock. And I love rom coms, even though they can be silly, because I grew up on them and am a bit of a romantic.

So when we started watching the series "Dash and Lillie" on Netflix, I was just expecting a silly little holiday rom com. But it's really good. It has depth and maturity and some hilarious moments and warmth. It wasn't overly sappy or cloying. The main characters were interesting, even for rich teenagers. And the detail in the minor background characters is great. I was really charmed by the warmth of this show. Whenever I thought I knew how things would play out, it surprised me in some way. Also, the music is great.

It did falter toward the end and fall back on some stupid developments to get the dramatic ending it wanted. That's common in rom coms, but up until then it had been smart enough that I thought it could avoid those pitfalls. It didn't. But even with that it was still a good series. I strongly recommend if you're in a holiday spirit.
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Just finished Maniac on netflix. Jonah Hill is always so angsty, but I just wanna give him a hug. I kinda have a crush on Emma Stone. Those big eyes and pale skin and freckles will get me every time, but she also usually plays someone who needs a hug but won’t take one.

The series itself was... odd. It seems to be set in the 80’s, from the style of the computers, but it’s likely just an alternate reality. Everyone is very dour and deadpan. Sally Fields was a delightful addition, and although she’s playing a caricature of an overbearing mother, she does it really convincingly. Series is full if lonely characters, stuck in lonely lives, they get entwined when they become part of a drug research test that involves an depressed AI running the tests.

Quirky things like retro computers and printouts, rotary phones, 80’s cars, hairstyles, glasses, and clothes. And everybody smokes for some reason.

It was clever and intriguing, a bit in the vein of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. ish. Wandering off in that direction, if not exactly down that path.

And now I need something new to knit by. Perhaps there are enough eps of the Mandalorian to start me off.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

I'm excited for series two of His Dark Materials, and for Truth Seekers which recently dropped on Prime.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Dev and I are on a quest to immerse his girlfriend in pop culture and there are a lot of books and movies that she missed. Only recently did she watch Tango & Cash with her parents. Dev decided that we needed to binge Kurt Russell movies because she only knows him as “Starlord’s dad”.

So, T&C has been found on ebay, but The Thing got here first, so we watched that last night. I still can’t settle on what I think happens at the end.

She has also never seen Big Trouble In Little China, so that has to happen soon.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Royko

Post by Royko »

It's all in the reflexes.
What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Maeve wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:54 pm ... The Thing got here first, so we watched that last night. I still can’t settle on what I think happens at the end.
I have to watch the end scene again, but at some point in my life I came to the conclusion that they were both the Thing, and since each alien cell was ultimately out for itself and only hiveminded when necessary, the two "men" were different factions of Thing cells.
y u poek bear?
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

Maeve wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:54 pm She has also never seen Big Trouble In Little China, so that has to happen soon.
We made a drinking game out of that movie back in college. Third person reference, green eyes, Yang, elements, there were other ones as well ... yeah we never made it through the movie.
-I.
Royko

Post by Royko »

Watched the first episode of Big Sky by David E Kelley. Not sure where I am on it. Very twin peaksian setting, but the story was a fairly conventional, if compelling, thriller. Some of it had me riveted, but some scenes just had bad writing, which I wouldn't expect from Kelley. We'll probably keep watching to see where it goes, but I'm not sold on it yet.