Train wreck imminent - my first Twitch

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
Furious

Re: Train wreck imminent - my first Twitch

Post by Furious »

I'll be Twitching a 2-hr show of me playing Telltale Games Poker Night 2, trying not to get punched by Brock Samson!

Sunday 11/8 (tonight) 8:30PM CDT
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Gotcha #2: I can't seem to get the overhead arm for my Blue Yeti microphone just right; it's either too far away or it sloooowly falls throughout my show. Coughing up another $27 for a solid microphone desk stand so it's one less thing to worry about when streaming.

Gotcha #2.1: Some of the Twitch interface is less intuitive than I like. It's a pain in the butt to edit the tile of your stream (if I'm playing Space Invaders at 9pm the video title should automatically be that and not have the info of previous stream - ugh). Still learning and will be for a while...
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Next show in like 40 minutes
thief 2020-11-10_18-47-24.jpg
thief 2020-11-10_18-47-24.jpg (12.58 KiB) Viewed 9565 times
Got my new mike stand set up and -maybe- my new video card came today. Gonna go check right now...
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Lesson learned: Don't lean into the microphone for 3 hours. Sit up straight and shove the mike into your face.

woo... i'm dizzy from sitting like that...
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Last night I did an unscheduled Twitch stream and the game crashed SIX TIMES. Finally got an hour of streaming in, but geez what a mess.

2004 game + 2020 hardware + not knowing what I'm doing =
bug-check.png
bug-check.png (44.48 KiB) Viewed 9543 times
I should be getting my new video card later today and I'll be uninstalling/reinstalling/re-re-reinstalling ones and zeros until I make sure all my equipment is unusable. :D
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Gotcha #3: $300 video card, didn't come with cables.

Old card: uses a 6-pin PCI-E cable to power it
New card: uses an 8-pin PCI-E cable to power it

*facepalm* Forced trip to Best Buy tomorrow.
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Best Buy doesn't sell PC power cables in-store.

And they wonder why they're this close to bankruptcy.

*gives more money to Jeff Bezos*
y u poek bear?
Furious

Post by Furious »

Got the cable that fits in the video card!

It doesn't fit in the power supply!

Now i need an adapter to mate cable A with cable B!

*pounds head into drywall*
y u poek bear?
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

Furious wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:17 pm Best Buy doesn't sell PC power cables in-store.

And they wonder why they're this close to bankruptcy.

*gives more money to Jeff Bezos*
Best Buy is not a tech store, they have been trying to be geeky Amazon lite in a retail space for a number of years (and desperately trying to avoid being Blockbuster when they refused the DVD contracts with MPAA.)

Even in the cities, it is Microcenter (One actual retail location), Newegg (off the rails from what they used to be), or Amazon. And we are doomed.

Meh, hope you get your cables sorted. *sillyn00b* :mrgreen:
-I.
Furious

Post by Furious »

wanderinginmn wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:32 am Microcenter (One actual retail location)
One of the things I miss about Minnesota.

*looks at thermometer*

but,... :mrgreen:

I'll repeat some of this rambling in my Poker Night 2 stream tomorrow night. But here's the silliness of my hobby:

The video card in my PC was NOT designed to encode and transmit video signals, or 'stream'. It's a $200-tier new (3 years ago) component for multi screen computing and 720p gaming. To fix this relatively cheaply, I could either upgrade my CPU ($400-450) or upgrade the video card to a slightly better $300-tier video card that IS capable of streaming, taking the pressure off the CPU.

I crunched numbers, and upgrading from an I5-8600k CPU to an I9-9900K CPU would provide up to an 80% improvement in streaming framerate, HOWEVER, it will still likely LOOK LIKE CRAP.

So I weighed all the pluses and minuses of different video cards and settled on a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti MINI ITX OC 6G Graphics Card, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 (what?). More memory, faster memory, wider bus, higher clocking... it SHOULD allow me to stream at 720p 60fps, which is a huge upgrade from the horrible and stuttering 576p "30fps" signal that I can produce now.

THE PROBLEM: Moved from MN to NE a year ago. Had to get rid of a lot of stuff. Some of that stuff was my excess power supply cables. The new Geforce GTX 1660 Ti card? Uses more power than my current card and while the power supply can handle it, I need a more robust cable with more pins to power the new card. After a few "gotchas", I realized the only places you can get these special cables are in Germany or Italy... $60-75 and a month's wait for ONE cable worth about $2... I just can't let The Kaijubooboo Show look that bad for that long! So I have to Frankenstein something together...

PSU >>> old PCI-E cable >>> new adapter >>> new PCI-E cable >>> new video card >>> me acting like an idiot in SUPERHOT in glorious 720p 60fps with NVENC encoding

Either it'll work or it'll blow up my PC... :o

BTW if you haven't played SUPERHOT yet, you're missing out. Matrix-like fun!
y u poek bear?