What Are You Reading? Chapter 42

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Re: What Are You Reading? Chapter 42

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

JocelynZombie wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:31 am I just finished "Quiet in her Bones" by Nalini Singh (her second mystery novel), and now am moving on to "The Art of Theft" by Sherry Thomas (part of the Lady Sherlock series). I'm not usually much of a mystery fan, and in both cases, I've followed a favorite romance author to a new mystery series, and I've still loved their writing.

I'm also picking at "A Memory of Empire" on many, many people's recommendation. I'm enjoying it a lot while reading it, but forget about it as soon as I put my phone down, so it's taking a while to finish.
I really enjoy the Lady Sherlock series. You might like the Lady Darby series too.
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
weeble

Post by weeble »

I want a really good book to read or listen to. I finished Hell of a Book by Jason Mott and All's Well by Mona Awad. They were good. I have to read Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell and The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz for my library book group. I couldn't get into the recent fantasy books I tried - they just seemed to have too much extraneous stuff, like they needed a good editor - The Left-Handed Booksellers of London by Garth Nix and Maya and the Rising Dark by Rena Barron.

Post by Maeve »

I just finished Lore by, um, someone.

Rather engaging. Sort of Greek mythology meets Highlander?

Re-read A Deadly Education, waiting for the sequel. Read Ten Thousand Doors of January, that was good. Read #1 in the Wayward Children series and would happily read the rest of that series, but my library has only the audiobooks. I want to actually see text, and so it means buying them.

My library’s ebook selection is not satisfactory for me. Supposedly I can sign up to the Philadelphia library, but when I tried it wanted a pin and I don’t have a pin? I am obviously doing something wrong and haven’t bothered to figure it out. But I think I have to.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

I loved Ten Thousand doors of January. I'm in the middle of Gail Callinger's Blameless and hating the MMC to the nth degree.
weeble

Post by weeble »

Maeve wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:24 pm Supposedly I can sign up to the Philadelphia library, but when I tried it wanted a pin and I don’t have a pin? I am obviously doing something wrong and haven’t bothered to figure it out. But I think I have to.
Call them. Totally call them. It's always good to hear a friendly voice on the other end of the line when working the information desk at a library!

Finished The Gilded Ones by Namina Forna. I liked the world building and most of the main characters. Something didn't sit right with me with the ending, though, maybe a bit too simplistic or black and white but I'm glad I finished it and would read a sequel.

A third of the way through Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell. Loving her writing, the details are lush without being overwrought; observations of human behavior and thought are spot on. I'm not buying some of the "teenage" behavior of some of the characters, but it moved quickly past that.

I'm finally diving into Ilona Andrew's Edge series. Had this one purposely on the back burner so it was be a new-to-me Andrews series to dive into when the time was right. After DNFing multiple books, stopping mid-series, because of poor character development and too stupid to live FMCs, I'm seeking glorious Andrews sanctuary.