What Are You Reading? Chapter 42

Want to talk about some nifty piece of media that isn't Neil-related? This is the place to do it.
JocelynZombie

Re: What Are You Reading? Chapter 42

Post by JocelynZombie »

Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 pm I'm definitely now a big fan of the Murderbot series. Need a Rise and Fall of Sanctuary Moon t-shirt, stat.

Now onto devouring Son of a Trickster.
There's a tee-shirt!? (I loved that series. I want the tee-shirt).
JocelynZombie

Post by JocelynZombie »

smalltown wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:08 pm
wanderinginmn wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:27 am
Maeve wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:59 pm

I have this on audiobook and there are two main readers. I adore one of them and am indifferent to the other, and so I couldn’t manage to concentrate on the story. I kept meaning to buy the book and never got around to it.
So audiobooks, how do you do it? It drives me nuts how slow the narration is. I have a difficult time waiting for the next word. I know I read at a quicker pace than most, but it is almost like nails on a chalkboard to.... listen.... to ... a.. story... being... told... through ... speakers. I connect and immerse more into the written word vs very slow verbal.
I do not have this issue at an author event where s/he is reading an excerpt (when we had those sort of things.) Maybe just an event tolerance vs focus on the story?
Snazz listens to his at 1.25 speed. It doesn't speed up the audio (which is what I originally thought) but removes a fraction of the gap between words and shortens any silent bits. Might be worth a try!
I've found that for audiobooks, I really like non-fiction or re-reads with great use of language or excellent performers. If it's a plot-driven book that I've never read before, I'll get impatient. "I CAN READ THIS FASTER MYSELF, DISEMBODIED VOICE!!!"

Also, I feel like anything with humor in it is so hard to convey in audiobook format; the narrators either make everything too serious, or seem to be waiting for you to laugh, and I can't handle that middle ground.
Ophelia's Vengeance

Post by Ophelia's Vengeance »

JocelynZombie wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:48 am
Ophelia's Vengeance wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 pm I'm definitely now a big fan of the Murderbot series. Need a Rise and Fall of Sanctuary Moon t-shirt, stat.

Now onto devouring Son of a Trickster.
There's a tee-shirt!? (I loved that series. I want the tee-shirt).
I found this one, which while pretty, doesn't seem to convey the mood of the show as described by Martha Wells (who said it's like How to Get Away with Murder). She indicated last year there might be an official t-shirt, but I haven't seen anything since that. I want the merch!
the band was altogether, yes he was alright, the song went on forever
wanderinginmn

Post by wanderinginmn »

JocelynZombie wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 am
I'll get impatient. "I CAN READ THIS FASTER MYSELF, DISEMBODIED VOICE!!!"
Exactly. (I have never tried nonfiction, fully expect the same result.)
-I.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain by Nghi Vo was just as delightful a story as the first book, in a completely different way.

It’s main character collects stories, for a sort of monastery/library, so the two books are different, but the flavour is similar. And it’s titled as part of the Singing Hills series, so, I look forward to more.

My only quibble is that the stories are too short. And I will freely admit to being a boring white woman who knows nothing of Asian stories and so it’s probably racist of me, and I’m sorry if that’s my impression because I don’t mean it that way, but these stories seem like re-tellings of Chinese stories, from a feminist point of view. And also a non-binary one - the story collector refers to themself as they, and the stories focus on women. And the women are intimate with men and women and no one thinks it’s wrong. Love is love, and intimacy isn’t something naughty to be discussed in secret.

I really like this author. I don’t exactly remember how I found the first book? Maybe Gail Carriger mentioned it? Maybe it was recommended because I liked the House on the Cerulean Sea. Or because I like Tamsyn Muir.

Anyway. I really liked it and you might too, I dunno.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

Finished re-reading the Harry Potter series and now have a post-HP read hangover. :-(
Furious

Post by Furious »

In case you're interested, DC (not Vertigo, Vertigo's gone for the Black Label moniker) reprinted Sandman #23 for $1.00 and is in your local comic/D&D/MtG/Funko store right now.

It's the story where Dream travels to Hell to meet Lucifer.
y u poek bear?
Ophelia's Vengeance

Oooooo, thanks!
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

I was reading The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter, and quite enjoying it, and then the world went bonkers, and now it’s just twitter and news sites.
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Ophelia's Vengeance

I'm in the middle of The Court of Rose and Thorns series. It's nice to just jump in and lose myself, most especially given how this week has been.